Subject: Re: threads (netbsd and solaris)
To: Peter Stewart <peter.stewart@sun.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/2002 15:00:21
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Peter Stewart wrote:

: I am wondering whether NetBSD has a thread library which is similar to the
: Solaris thread model, eg user threads bound to LWPs.

It's actually in active development on a source tree branch; the code is not
part of the standard -current codebase yet.

: Is there a defacto standard thread library for NetBSD?

Not counting the above, everything is userspace threads, none of which is
really "standard" for NetBSD, since some things are happy with certain
userspace implementations and not happy with others.

There's several thread libraries for NetBSD in pkgsrc, including
unproven-pthreads, pth, and ptl2.

: I can see there are kernel threads, can these be scheduled over multiple
: processors (SMP)?

SMP is in active development on a branch as well, and isn't yet in the
-current codebase (the basic -current sources will spin up CPUs if
MULTIPROCESSOR is defined, but not do a whole lot otherwise).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/