Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/arch/macppc/conf
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/2002 14:08:28
--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:58:08AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> Pardon me, but is there a good reason to hide the details of what's in
> the machine like this?

How's this hide anything?

Seems to me I'd go from seeing:

esp0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: NCR53C94, 25MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus1 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

=2E.. to seeing:

scsi0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: NCR53C94, 25MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus1 at scsi0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

It's still quite clear what chipset's in use. (More so, really, than
it would be just from the name of the driver.)

I guess mesh's detect message would have to be made more useful:

mesh0 at obio0 offset 0x18000 irq 13: 50MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at mesh0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

=2E.. but that's easy enough.

At any rate, the good reason is that it's more general and more
predictable. (If I'm writing something that wants to go talk to all
the SCSI cards in a machine, I don't want to have to go find out
all the plausible SCSI driver names, and then deal with portability
issues whenever someone renames a SCSI driver or writes a new one, I
want to be able to go talk to scsi? and know that it'll work
forever.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net