Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2002 16:02:15
    Date:        Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:34:13 -0800 (PST)
    From:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net>

  | FWIW I had a case like that many years ago.
  | Solution was to clri the file, let fsck map it into lost+found
  | and mv to a sane name.

I know I'm replying to an old message, but ...

I doubt that's what you did, as once you have clri'd the file, all
fsck can find is a bunch of unallocated blocks, which it will just reclaim
for the free list.

More likely what you did was to move all other files out of the directory
containing the bad name, and then clri the directory.   Then you have an
unreferenced inode which is otherwise just fine, and which fsck will link
into lost+found (after which you can mv it somewhere more useful).

This message is really just for the archives, in case someone ever has
this problem, goes searching, and (apparently) gets told the right thing
to do is to clri the inode of the file with the bad name...  (it isn't).

kre