Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/07/2002 08:56:56
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> wrote:

> Also, how often do folks change locales? While a system may have multiple
> locales in use at once, I expect each user will choose one and stick with
> it. So that user will have a fairly consistent environment, and any name
> quirks will be stable and readily known.

I wouldn't be quite so optimistic -- it would not surprise me to find
that users with non-C locales trip across the occasional application
that they prefer to run in the C locale, or must run in the C locale
to interoperate with other users.

I suffer one application that can't even cope with a changed TZ value.
(Yes, it's pretty broken, but that's applications for you ... :-)

Regards,

Giles