Subject: Write a translating FS layer instead (Was: Re: Mount option to ignore case)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2002 10:33:15
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:24:43PM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>=20
> What about a filesystem specific callback function for name comparison? =
=20
> then the filesystems who would want such a comparisation done in one way =
or
> another can do it their way... another option would offcource be to speci=
fy
> a standard comparisation method in the filingsystems structure given to t=
he
> kernel.... then `most common' ones can be shared.

Now you have the problem reversed, I think.

We want a case-independent view of a case-obeying filesystem, so that we can
(on the server) treat a Unix filesystem like, say, a MS-DOS machine wants to
see it, is this right?

Filesystems that define a charset and case-mapping procedure (like the
different Adosfs flavours, and msdosfs) are already doing so.

Now - what seems to be the right thing to me - certainly the right
intermediate solution until a "right" method of associating a character=20
encoding with a file name space has been defined - is to write a small
intermediate layer to do the mapping you want. Then mount it on top of
your Unixoid file system.

The backside would be that the result would not be case preserving, but
I suspect we can live with that. Actually, I suspect it is even possible
to write it case preserving with not much more effort.

Adosfs and friends are fine right now - they work how they are specified in=
=20
their original OS's and create the same bits. Best leave it alone, unless y=
ou
have a very good reason.

Regards,
	-is