Subject: Re: Codeset support for wscons
To: None <>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/01/2002 18:02:36
On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:48:57PM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 17:19:33 +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> > First, I was talking about the way keystrokes get mapped to keysyms
> > that get sent to the tty.
> My point is that you send bytes to the tty, not keysyms.  To
> reiterate: what are the prospective clients of this kbd codeset API
> other than the kernel itself?

Unicode support in the future?

> > Here we need a way to distinguish the key-to-char-mapping depending
> > on your favorite locale.
> A program "behind" the tty, i.e. not accessing ws events only see
> bytes anyway.  Why we need to do a layer of keycode->keysym->locale->byte
> transaltion where keycode->byte would be sufficient in most cases?
> I can think of scenario where you run applications in different
> locales for the same language that differ only in the used codeset
> (e.g. ru_RU.KOI8-R vs. ru_RU.ISO8859-5) on different wsscreens sharing
> a single wskbd layout.  Do we really want to support such scenario?

Why not?

> > This mapping could even be UTF-8 giving full 16-bit unicode over
> > 8-bit ttys.
> UTF-8 terminal needs to be "fully" UTF-8, i.e. you apply UTF-8 to the
> whole stream of data between app and the terminal.  E.g. CSI should be
> UTF-8 encoded too.  At least that seems to be the consenus and afaict
> that's the way UTF-8 support works in xterm.

What do you mean `CSI should be UTF-8 encoded too.'?

> > With Lennart Augustssons changes it is impossible to modify the
> > current keyboard map, so this needs to be changed anyway.
> Did his changes brake anything?

The keysym to name translation in wsconsctl is now ambigous.

	$ wsconsctl map
	keycode 26 = udiaeresis Cyrillic_e

This should read `keycode 26 = udiaeresis Udiaeresis'.

> SY, Uwe
> --
>                         |       Zu Grunde kommen
>            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen

Juergen Hannken-Illjes - - TU Braunschweig (Germany)