Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: Greywolf , Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/31/2002 02:18:07
On Jul 16, 12:28pm, Greywolf wrote:
}
} Um, something I just noticed.  HFS+ filesystems.
}
} I haven't played with it much in a LONG time, but the last time I did
} anything with an HFS filesystem, the '/' character was valid in a
} filename.  How did we work around this?

     I worked on a system once that had some disks NFS exported to a
Mac.  The Mac created a file with a '/' in the name.  That was fun.
NOT!  No 'fsdb' either...  That would have made cleaning up the file
too simple.

     On the flip side, Macs use a ':' for a directory seperator
character which, of course, is a perfectly valid character to put in a
filename on a UNIX system.  Of course, this means that we could just
substitute a ':' for any '/'s in the filename.

}-- End of excerpt from Greywolf