Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/31/2002 14:09:34
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:

> Um, something I just noticed.  HFS+ filesystems.
>
> I haven't played with it much in a LONG time, but the last time I did
> anything with an HFS filesystem, the '/' character was valid in a
> filename.  How did we work around this?

Darwin, at least, works around this by swapping '/' and ':' (the
latter being the HFS path separator) in the VFS; OS X then swaps them
back when emulating the classic Mac API's.

Oh, other random Darwin/HFS+ note: attempts to create a file with a
name that is not a valid UTF-8 string return EINVAL, and valid file
names seem to be automagically normalized (e.g. a letter with an
accent gets broken into the letter and the accent, I guess for
collation purposes).

--Jed, having found this out the hard way by trying to have a file
  named after a CDDB entry that was in Latin-1 and had high chars.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."