Subject: siop crash... was Re: rename of scsipi kernel thread
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/31/2002 12:00:35
Am Sonntag den, 31. M=E4rz 2002, um 12:11, schrieb Manuel Bouyer:

> Hi,
> would anyone object if I rename the per-channel scsipi kernel thread=20=

> from
> controller:channel to the scsipi channel name (e.g. siop0:0 -> =
scsibus0,
> ahc0:1 -> scsibus1, pciide0:0 -> atapibus0, etc ...) ?

This post reminded me of something. I have had the siop driver crash
when a device is attached to my 53c1010 interface. I've not got the =
exact
absolute reason why, but the symptom is this. When the interface chip
thinks the bus is differential, but the actual device is single-ended,=20=

there
is a mismatch error. Rather than resetting the SE/LVD mode, the driver
causes a kernel panic.

This also occurs in the Linux version as well. I'll look into it more,=20=

but I
though I'd mention it, and see if anyone has had a similar strange=20
problem.
(In the linux driver I got to the point where the scripts interrupt code=20=

tried to
continue the scripts, after which the panic... haven't looked in that=20
detail
into the netbsd version.)

The interface works correctly with a device that always is LVD, and I=20
thought
that if the drive forced SE before the interface chip was=20
initialized(via jumpers
or whatnot, that worked too, but I'll have to retrace my steps.