Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/2002 10:36:24
> AFAIK, amiga and msdos never supported unicode or kanji.  I don't think Amiga
> had other charsets than 8859-1.  Msdos had only one charset, too (but it
> was different from the one used by windoze, of course).

No, msdosfs (the fat32 variant) is used on japanese and other windows
versions. They do store file names in multibyte character sets, I've
used a japanese windows with a DBCS locale (I think that was code page 931)

> IMHO, it would be better to implement simple case-insensitivity support
> than do nothing.

I aggree.

If/when we come up with a more general solution (something like the "struct
emul*" pointing from each process to it's active ABI description), we can
make the simple routines use that.

But I'd suggest we start with the simple case now. Of course, if our friends
from the multi-byte locales join in and we come up with a general solution
soon, we can do it right at first try.

Martin