Subject: -current kernel ramdisk buffer creation error (always the same size; smaller than configured)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: satadru pramanik <satadru@umich.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/28/2002 12:41:15
I have compiled several kernels with src from -current for a g4u bootdisk,
and am having problems which I think I can reliably track to the kernel
creating a buffer for the ramdisk which is too small.  Could somebody tell
me if I am doing something wrong?   CCs to me and reposts to a relevant list
if this is not appropriate would be appreciated, as I'm not on this
developers list.

Debugging information enclosed below:

When I use mdsetimage, I get this error:
-=-=-
=-=-=
/usr/sbin/mdsetimage -v netbsd.tmp
/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-g4u/ramdisk-g4u.fs
got symbols from netbsd.tmp
mapped netbsd.tmp
mdsetimage: fs image (1286144 bytes) too big for buffer (262144 bytes)
*** Error code 1
-=-=
Note: this seems to happen no matter what arbitrarily size I make the
MINIROOTSIZE
=-=-=
The relevant config file options I have for the ramdisk compile in
/usr/sys/arch/i386/conf are as follows:

#       $NetBSD: INSTALL,v 1.148.2.4 2001/04/25 09:06:31 he Exp $
#
#       INSTALL_G4U - Ghost4Unix installation kernel.
#
#       This kernel should be derived from GENERIC with some features
#       commented out.
#
#       This kernel does NOT support X, mice, audio devices, EISA,
#       non-NetBSD, emulation.
#

include "arch/i386/conf/std.i386"

makeoptions     COPTS="-Os"             # Optimise for space. Implies -O2

# Enable the hooks used for initializing the root memory-disk.
options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT     # force root on memory disk
options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=0    # no userspace memory disk support
#options        MINIROOTSIZE=4096       # size of memory disk, in blocks
#options         MINIROOTSIZE=2880       # 1.44M, same as a floppy
options        MINIROOTSIZE=2512       # ramdisk-g4u.fs

<snip>
-=-
=-=
thanks.
satadru

_=_
There is a certain impertinence in allowing oneself to be burned for an
opinion.
                -- Anatole France