Subject: Re: Proposal: porting ALSA to NetBSD.
To: Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2002 21:01:37
Andrew Nesbit wrote:

> Hi all, I have been thinking about getting into NetBSD and embarking
> on a project to port ALSA (http://www.alsa-project.org) to NetBSD (x86
> to start off with).  I wanted to bring this issue up here to get
> feedback on the practicality and usefulness of this proposal.  (I hope
> this is an appropriate forum for this sort of question.  I looked at
> the list descriptions, and decided this one would be best :)

I'm not sure replacing all our audio drivers with ALSA drivers is the best
way to spend your effort.  But something that would be very nice would
be an ALSA emulation layer, like the OSS emulation.  The OSS emulation
comes in two versions: one in the kernel for Linux binaries and one userland
for native applictions.  Something like that would be great.  And if you are
careful you can even use the same source for both. (I did the mistake of
cloning
the kernel source for the libossaudio; it would have been possible to use the
same for both.)

    -- Lennart