Subject: Re: Proposal: porting ALSA to NetBSD.
To: Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2002 19:36:30
In some email I received from Andrew Nesbit, sie wrote:
[...]
> 1. Firstly, ALSA is under the GPL, and so a port could not be merged
> into the source tree.  An LKM would be the only way around this.

ALSA is an API.  It should be possible (slaves willing ;) to do an
implementation from the ground up that supports ALSA without having
to worry about the GPL.

Although I am concerned that ALSA is a replacement for OSS, so who's
to say there won't be a replacement for ALSA in Linux 2.6 ?

Looking at the web page, I have one thing to say: the documentation
about the API's (library & kernel) is utter crap.

Sigh.

Darren