Subject: Re: Damn Intel GigE
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/16/2002 12:36:51
In some email I received from Wojciech Puchar, sie wrote:
> > So we have *multiple alternate* sources of information from which
> > to write a device driver for this card.  Someone explain to me why
> > we will not have a driver for it in NetBSD 1.6 ?
> >
> > Given how long it will be before another NetBSD release (after 1.6),
> > I think excluding a driver for this card (amongst others) can only
> > do us more harm than good.  From what Jason has said, there has been
> > no commitment from Intel to do anyting about that situation and,
>
> IMGO if intel don't like it to be available freely and included don't do
> it. no one is forced to buy them.

What about systems where Intel gear is integrated already?

The more drivers we have, the bigger out potential market is in terms of
customers.  It is in our best interests to have more drivers, whatever
way we can, especially when it comes to competing with FreeBSD & OpenBSD.

Right now, if someone has a GigE Intel card and wants to use *BSD, they
CANNOT use NetBSD.  That is a problem (for us).

Darren