Subject: Re: intel gige
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2002 09:42:06
There's one more thing to say on this and I base this on something
said some time ago about someone besides Jason having a working
Intel GigE driver.  If that's not true then the rest of this is crap...

Given it has taken ~6 months for nothing to happen with paperwork on
the Intel front, I believe we should adopt an attitude of "we have no
idea when they will do their side of things and we can't wait forever."

It would be handy if there was a driver for it already in the tree for
fred, for starters.

So what I'm saying is, if there is an Intel GigE driver we can import
into the tree, now and not have to worry about NDA's then we should do
so.  I don't think we should be spending more months or years waiting
for Intel to make up their minds.

They may come back tomorrow (cool!) or they may come back in 12 months
(not cool).  In either case, it should be a relatively trivial job of
replacing one driver with another (hopefully nobody will mind) and in
the meantime, we have a driver for something which otherwise we don't.

I think it would be a great shame if the only reason we have this
conversation, again, in 6 months, is because there's been no movement
at Fort Intel.

Darren