Subject: RE: intel gige
To: 'der Mouse' <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Stephane St Hilaire <ssthilaire@hyperchip.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2002 17:47:05

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CBAA.2A6622A0

>> i'm just agains commercial practices which are breaking basic
>>> consumer laws
>> I doubt there are laws in *any* country that says [...]

>I'm not the one who chose to write "laws".  But I think "law" here
>meant not law in the sense of legislation but law in the sense of
>natural law.

The law of competition, survival of the fittest would actually be on the
side of keeping the fruit of your R&D efforst private up to a certain point
wouldn't it ?

>> Do you get detailed descriptions of anything you can buy today?

>Mostly.

>> If you buy a new car, do you get a manual for the engine or the
>> electrical system?

>I damn well better, or I won't buy it.  (And if that means I'll never
>buy a new car, so be it.)

You should buy a car because you need one, not because you want to know how
to build one ; )

> If you buy a loaf of bread, do you get a description of how it's
> made,
>(a) Ingredient lists are mandatory in most of North America.  Process
>    usually isn't, but that matters less - am I asking for
>    manufacturing process details of the Ethernet card?

You're not asking for the component list of the board either.

>(b) If the Ethernet card conforms to an interface spec as widely known
>    and documented as that of bread, a simple note to that effect would

You mean the "put the slice in your mouth" interface ? Just kidding but the
interface spec of bread would be the equivalent of the user manual for the
ethernet board.

>    be sufficient (or not even that if, as with bread, all such devices
>    conformed to that spec) - but that can't be the case here, or Jason
>    wouldn't've needed to go NDA to write a driver.

What motivation is ther for Intel to make all this information public ?
Just curious.

Steph

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CBAA.2A6622A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: intel gige</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; i'm just agains commercial practices which =
are breaking basic</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt;&gt; consumer laws</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; I doubt there are laws in *any* country =
that says [...]</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;I'm not the one who chose to write =
&quot;laws&quot;.&nbsp; But I think &quot;law&quot; here</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;meant not law in the sense of legislation but =
law in the sense of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;natural law.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The law of competition, survival of the fittest would =
actually be on the side of keeping the fruit of your R&amp;D efforst =
private up to a certain point wouldn't it ?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; Do you get detailed descriptions of anything =
you can buy today?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Mostly.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; If you buy a new car, do you get a manual =
for the engine or the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; electrical system?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;I damn well better, or I won't buy it.&nbsp; (And =
if that means I'll never</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;buy a new car, so be it.)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You should buy a car because you need one, not =
because you want to know how to build one ; )</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; If you buy a loaf of bread, do you get a =
description of how it's</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; made,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;(a) Ingredient lists are mandatory in most of =
North America.&nbsp; Process</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; usually isn't, but that =
matters less - am I asking for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; manufacturing process details =
of the Ethernet card?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You're not asking for the component list of the board =
either.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;(b) If the Ethernet card conforms to an interface =
spec as widely known</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and documented as that of =
bread, a simple note to that effect would</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You mean the &quot;put the slice in your mouth&quot; =
interface ? Just kidding but the interface spec of bread would be the =
equivalent of the user manual for the ethernet board.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; be sufficient (or not even =
that if, as with bread, all such devices</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; conformed to that spec) - but =
that can't be the case here, or Jason</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; wouldn't've needed to go NDA =
to write a driver.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What motivation is ther for Intel to make all this =
information public ?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just curious.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Steph</FONT>