Subject: Re: intel gige
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2002 16:08:43
Am Donnerstag den, 14. M=E4rz 2002, um 15:52, schrieb Matthew Jacob:

> It's not clear to me that Jonathon's driver is really unencumbered. He=20=

> had
> access to Intel docs via Cisco. It's not clear to me how he was then
> authorized to release if_gx.

I would say if the register definitions came from an NDA source, then
the drive is encombered. But I'm not a lawyer... und der Haifisch, der
hat Zaehne...

The problem here is that the entity which provides NetBSD cvs source=20
services
is not in the position to mount a legal battle with Intel, should they=20=

decide
the material was covered, whether after a legal battle that claim was=20
sustained.

Hence the wisdom is to not post until legal papers are completed. In=20
addition,
given that some people are in the business of actually making some =
meager
remuneration for performing software work, and requires some 'largess'=20=

or just the
technical information on the part of Intel, publishing before=20
permission, would
end any Intel sponsorship.

Those are somewhat the realities of life...