Subject: Re: intel gige
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2002 16:41:14
>> i'm just agains commercial practices which are breaking basic
>> consumer laws
> I doubt there are laws in *any* country that says [...]

I'm not the one who chose to write "laws".  But I think "law" here
meant not law in the sense of legislation but law in the sense of
natural law.

> Do you get detailed descriptions of anything you can buy today?

Mostly.

> If you buy a new car, do you get a manual for the engine or the
> electrical system?

I damn well better, or I won't buy it.  (And if that means I'll never
buy a new car, so be it.)

> If you buy a loaf of bread, do you get a description of how it's
> made,

(a) Ingredient lists are mandatory in most of North America.  Process
    usually isn't, but that matters less - am I asking for
    manufacturing process details of the Ethernet card?

(b) If the Ethernet card conforms to an interface spec as widely known
    and documented as that of bread, a simple note to that effect would
    be sufficient (or not even that if, as with bread, all such devices
    conformed to that spec) - but that can't be the case here, or Jason
    wouldn't've needed to go NDA to write a driver.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign