Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2002 20:54:14
On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:04:25PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

> The overhead of doing the compilation of an AmigaOS-native binary simply for
> a NetBSD bootblock is far more than just compiling it under NetBSD and
> stuffing the code at the beginning of the filesystem (as NetBSD does for
> >half the other platforms).

Actually, I have a mostly-working converter (from m68k a.out) to loadseg
format. Would be enough to do a translation to a filesystem that doesn't
want to do more than run once and boot an alien OS. However, as we do have
parition bootblocks, and even know how to install them even despite Phase5's
claim that they aren't supported with their scsi adapters, there is no great
need to implement it. Unless we want to boot from really ancient disk
controllers, maybe.

Regards,
	-is