Subject: PCMCIA strangeness
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 14:56:27
I had setup a wireless gateway using an old 486 laptop and two PCMCIA
cards using FreeBSD and it worked nicely. I decided to try the project
again with NetBSD instead. This is what I get:
pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xdffff
pcic0: controller 0 (Cirrus PD672X) has sockets A and B
pcic0: controller 1 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has no sockets
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
pcic0: using irq 5 for socket events
pcmcia0: CIS version PCMCIA 2.0 or 2.1
pcmcia0: CIS info: Aironet, PC4800
pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0x15f, product 0x7
pcmcia0: function 0: network adapter, ccr addr 3e0 mask 7
pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry 5: I/O card; irq mask ffff;
iomask 6, iospace 0-3f; io16 irqlevel
an0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x43f: no suitable CIS info found
pcmcia1: CIS version PCMCIA 2.0 or 2.1
pcmcia1: CIS info: IBM Corp., Ethernet, 0934214, PC-NIC ENCC
990010759-001A
pcmcia: Manufacturer code 0xa4, product 0x2
pcmcia1: function 0: network adapter, ccr addr 20000 mask b
pcmcia1: function 0, config table entry 1: I/O card; irq mask ffff;
iomask 5, iospace 0-1f; memspace 11000-14fff; mwait_required io16
irqpulse irqlevel
ne0 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f port 0x410-0x41f
ne0: IBM InfoMover Ethernet
ne0: where did the card go?
I'm pretty sure i was using FreeBSD 4.4, but sence I installed NetBSD
over it I don't have the dmesg. I put FreeBSD 4.5 on another HDD and it
had this to say:
pcic0: <Cirrus logic 6722> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
pcic0: Polling mode
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
I then tried these cards in NetBSD on my Sony Vaio and they worked
fine. So I'm assuming the problem is with how NetBSD is handling the
PCMCIA controller on the old laptop. I was going through the ne driver
code and found that this was the line in ne2000_detect() that was
failing:
        tmp = bus_space_read1(nict, nich, ED_P0_CR);
        if ((tmp & (ED_CR_RD2 | ED_CR_TXP | ED_CR_STA | ED_CR_STP)) !=
            (ED_CR_RD2 | ED_CR_STP))
                goto out;
And before you suggest that I define GWETHER I'll tell you now that it
dosen't help. If anyone recognizes this problem please drop me a
message, otherwise I just noticed Polling mode seems like a good thing
to try next.

=====
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use of the information contained within this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.