Subject: Re: New snapshot of ATI Mach64 framebuffer driver
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 17:49:58
On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 17:24, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> However, it would be a bad idea to declare it a supported interface
> for other ports like the i386. First of all, if we want some kind of
> MI support it's best if it's added to wscons. On i386, it's pretty
> much impossible to support a /dev/fb, because it would mean duplicating
> much of the XFree86 effort for db drivers for each kind of card.
> Which would be a waste and totally impossible because of lack of
> manpower.

A VESA framebuffer driver for i386 certainly wouldn't be useless. You
could have a nice high resolution console, _and_ run X without options
INSECURE.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere about newer video cards that didn't
support VGA text modes at all. I don't remember where, or maybe I'm
crazy.. but I seem to remember hearing about them being present in some
laptops.

Jared