Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 20:35:50
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:28:43PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> is:
> : As for the "set bit and count" bits, I've mentally volunteered to write=
 that
> : for a long time, I've just not felt it was urgent enough (without writi=
ng a
> : full repartitioner) to be useful.
>=20
> Well, it's actually useful when *installing* a NetBSD/amiga system, even =
if
> you have to use HDToolBox to partition it.  I've used loadbsd almost
> exclusively, so I don't know what kind of demand there is within the
> userbase.

big one. Phase5's partitioning tools deliberately reset the custom bootblock
bit (or maybe set the number of blocks to zero) to protect against bootblock
virii. (Thats what the people involved with their software tell if you ask.)

Having an easy tool to reactivate this, after, say, booting via loadbsd,
would be a win.

	-is

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--