Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 09:46:36
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:10:28PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

 > ** arc **
 >
 > ROM uses MBR, but I don't know specifics.

ARCBIOS uses MBR partitions.  ARCBIOS loads ECOFF files from a FAT file
system.  Thus no installboot is necessary on these systems; you plop the
file into the FAT, and then configure a boot menu entry in the ARCBIOS
for it.

arc does not currently have a bootloader, but I've been playing with the
sgimips bootloader trying to get it to work on the arc port, but haven't
had time to work on it for a while.

[ shark ]
 > The OFW can boot any file that is a.out.  Currently it is used to boot the
 > NetBSD arm32 a.out kernel directly, but thorpej has said that it's on his
 > plate to factor out a libsa booter so that ELF kernels can be booted.

Actually, it can boot ZMAGIC a.out or flat binary.