Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 10:57:17
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: > Here's a proposal for a re-work of the boot block installation under
: > NetBSD.  I've posted it here for feedback, even though it's just as
: > relevant in tech-install; saves cross-posting.
:
: amiga, amigappc:
:
: - there are no seperate level0 and level1 blocks.

Yes, there are, from the perspective of Luke's description.  "level0" refers
to the RDB entries; there's no actual executable code there.  Similarly, the
Sun disklabel is the "level0" bootblock for a Sun machine.

: [Remark: there is a 2nd method booting method which might be useful to us:
:  write a AmigaOS filesystem that's loaded into the RDB as a FSHD and a series
:  of LSEG blocks associated with the PART block of the partition.

IMHO, I don't think this would be particularly useful, because you'd have to
make it a real AmigaOS object file with relocs (LoadSeg compatible) and deal
a little more with the internals of dos.library.  Blecch...  :)

Really, the reserved-blocks at the beginning of the fs is the best way to
go, since we support that boot method on a plethora of other platforms.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/