Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2002 10:22:16
--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:58:03PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Here's a proposal for a re-work of the boot block installation under
> NetBSD.  I've posted it here for feedback, even though it's just as
> relevant in tech-install; saves cross-posting.

amiga, amigappc:

- there are no seperate level0 and level1 blocks.

Floppy disk ROM drivers load 2 blocks (@ 512 bytes), and check the checksum,
then execute, but the floppy version of our bootblocks handles loading bloc=
ks
2 ... (n-1) internally.

Disks have in their native partition table (RDB) a bit (bootable), a boot=
=20
priority and a block count to load for bootblock booting. We're setting=20
this to 16 (x 512) for our ffs bootblock. The blocks are loaded from the
beginning of the partition.

[Actually, our installboot doesn't yet know how to access the RDB, so the
user has to do this from AmigaOS. If it learns this, however, it will need
access to the raw full disk instead of just the partition image.]

Anyway - you can cross-prepare a floppy image or a partition image, but to
fully make it bootable you need either access to the target machine or at=
=20
least to the full disk to be installed there. This is no major problem (as
it is handled currently out-of-NetBSD anyway), but a generic installboot
framework should allow for a switch to do this or not.

[Remark: there is a 2nd method booting method which might be useful to us:
 write a AmigaOS filesystem that's loaded into the RDB as a FSHD and a seri=
es
 of LSEG blocks associated with the PART block of the partition. Has some
 advantages (no size limit, relocation provided by ROM), but we'd have to=
=20
 write code for this ;-). Needs access to the RDB, that is, the raw disk, t=
oo,
 to install it.]

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N--