Subject: Re: proposed re-work / unification of boot block installation
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/11/2002 22:53:48
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, James Chacon wrote:

> >macppc (old firmware):
> >	- stage 0 is an apple partition map with two partitions, the
> >		partition map and a partition containing the stage
> >		1 loader
>
> This is a faked up partition map right now, correct? What about dual boot
> scenarios for old firmware?

I have some code I was working on which would try to add the partition to
an existing map, rather than blow it away. But I never got my machine to
boot that way. If that worked, we wouldn't need a fake map.

From other experiences, I think it might be that OF actually doesn't like
booting off of my scsi disks (I have to boot macoc 9 before I can boot
macos X).

Take care,

Bill