Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2002 06:02:06
>> I think COMPAT_AOUT, or something functionally equivalent (as
>> someone, mrg I think, pointed out, it really should be renamed) fits
>> in that bin too.

> ld.so is functionally almost equivalent, and without side effects of
> COMPAT_AOUT.

I think you're missing the point.  You're still thinking of it as a
solution to the problem of finding a.out libraries, with other path
translations as a generally undesirable side effect.  My point is that
those "side effects" can actually be desirable in their own right, and
that what I am arguing for is COMPAT_AOUT (preferably renamed) kept
specifically for them.  That it can also be used to solve the problem
of finding a.out shared libraries is a convenient coincidence.  (Well,
actually, given the code's history, "coincidence" is the wrong word.)

> For continual use, the ld.so solution is much better.

If all you're trying to do is find a.out libraries, yes, I think it is.

That's not always all you're trying to do (at least FSVO "you").

And that's why I agree with mrg, I think it was, that the option to
control the path prefixing should be renamed away from COMPAT_AOUT,
because the reasons why I think it should be kept around have little to
do with the reasons that got it put in under the name COMPAT_AOUT.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign