Subject: Re: timewarps
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Ted U <grendel@heorot.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2002 16:53:52
On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Chuck Silvers wrote:

> this appears to be due to successive microtime() results showing time
> going backwards, which confuses the code that counts process cpu usage.
> there are several PRs on this phenomenon on the x86 (11432, 14058, 14100)
> and the second of those has the attached test program to see if gettimeofday()
> goes backwards.  running that program on this box results in an immediate
> stream of timewarp events:

FYI there was a good length thread about this on a FreeBSD mailing list
(current maybe?) recently.  I didn't really follow the thread, but I seem
to recall that they had a patch or two for the kernel that fixed this.  It
did seem to only affect fast machines.

--
Ted, toll collector of the information superhighway