Subject: re: Removing compat/aout
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2002 11:41:24

   : Surely, it's possible to do some thing with COMPAT_AOUT which can't
   : be done with ld.so.  However, one can be as well off with the ld.so
   : solution, if one arranges things appropriately.  Thus, I don't see
   : a need for kernel solution, and would like to ditch it.

   "Because it doesn't do anything useful for you" doesn't mean "throw it out"
   -- some other people may find utility in it.  I've needed COMPAT_AOUT a
   total of 6 times already for migration purposes.

   If this is your only argument for removing it, perhaps I should bring up the
   migrate-UUCP-and-RCS-to-pkgsrc discussion again?

perhaps if uucp and rcs were broken and unmaintained this argument
would be valid.  the fact is that COMPAT_AOUT f*cks you over and
it should be ejected with extreme prejudice.  unless you're going
to volunterer to maintain it and fix all the PRs?

anyone running a system with a.out binaries that they *USE* really
doesn't want to have COMPAT_AOUT.  why?  say your shell is aout..
you type "cd /usr" in it.  where do you end up?  "/emul/aout/usr".

this is dangerous and confusing.  it's certainly cost me a lot of
time, and even data (i didn't realise that the file i was editing
was in /emul/aout, as i didn't ask for it in there, and was very
unhappy about my changes not being there next time i looked.)  i've
seen first hand reports of several other people that all say
basically the same thing.

.mrg.