Subject: re: Pathname translation for emulations (Was: Re: Removing compat/aout)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 20:33:13
On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, matthew green wrote:

:    In principle I agree with you. But if we have the same code in every
:    emulation except for the name, we should centralize it. And I think we can
:    do this w/o adding much impact to native code (testing for a null
:    pointer).
:
: i don't like this because different emulations translate different
: system calls, not "all of them".  how do you provide for this?

Then that's a bug.  Translation should be applied uniformly to a uniform set
of syscalls.  (IMNSHO, it should be all syscalls which take a filename in
the filesystem namespace.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/