Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 15:12:12
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

: > Upgrading an a.out /usr/pkg in place is a Bad Idea.
:
: Perhaps. Personally, I found mixed a.out & ELF pkg world too painfull
: to deal with, so I just replaced all pkgs I had with ELF ones at the time.
: It also looked as a good longer-term thing to do.

I replaced all packages with ELF ones as well, but I was able to keep the
machines *running* (several of these were multiuser boxes with important
server daemons in /usr/pkg!) while doing the upgrade, rather than shutting
down the system to wait for a piss-slow rebuild of the whole shebang.

This was the whole point of moving the old /usr/pkg as a unit:  you end up
with the old stuff still available and runnable while preparing the new,
upgraded versions.

: > -- some other people may find utility in it.  I've needed COMPAT_AOUT a
: > total of 6 times already for migration purposes.
:
: Would those be impossible to do with ld.so solution only?

Not the above migration as described.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/