Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 14:11:01
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>
> : > * Move /usr/pkg to /emul/aout/usr/pkg, and rebuild /usr/pkg incrementally
> : >   and *cleanly* rather than in one big inconsistent pkg_delete/rebuild
> : >   sweep.

> : I don't particularily see why you should need to _move_ your old
> : /usr/pkg to /emul/aout/usr/pkg. pkgsrc does check for executable
> : format and doesn't allow the newly built packages (ELF) to depend
> : on old a.out ones.  So, you _can_ incrementally upgrade your /usr/pkg
> : without need to move anything anywhere.[*]
>
> You end up with stray files, packages forgotton to be upgraded, and worse.
> Upgrading an a.out /usr/pkg in place is a Bad Idea.

No one said anything about ugrading *in* *place*. For the a.out to ELF
case, that's not possible anyway, as the shared libraries and binaries
have to be updated together (as you know). I have 1.4.3/i386 and
1.5.2/i386 packages peacefully co-existing on 1.5.2/i386, and 1.4.3/m68k
peacefully coexisting with current/ELF packages on 1.5AZ/m68k. I just
recently swept for the packages containing a.out shared libraries on the
1.5.2/i386, and updated them, and it wasn't difficult at all.

Frederick