Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 21:10:28
Todd Vierling wrote:
> You end up with stray files, packages forgotton to be upgraded, and worse.

Not if pkg system is functioning properly, what supposedly it is :)

> Upgrading an a.out /usr/pkg in place is a Bad Idea.

Perhaps. Personally, I found mixed a.out & ELF pkg world too painfull
to deal with, so I just replaced all pkgs I had with ELF ones at the time.
It also looked as a good longer-term thing to do.

> : I personally want my config files all in /etc, surely without regard
> : to executable format.
>
> That's not the default for pkgsrc, so not relevant to this issue.

OK, surely I don't want _another_ place to look to besides
/etc and /usr/pkg/etc and particularily not something like
'oh, it's a.out still, let's look elsewhere'.

> -- some other people may find utility in it.  I've needed COMPAT_AOUT a
> total of 6 times already for migration purposes.

Would those be impossible to do with ld.so solution only?

> If this is your only argument for removing it, perhaps I should bring up the
> migrate-UUCP-and-RCS-to-pkgsrc discussion again?

Sure, go ahead :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html