Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 14:43:39
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Alan Barrett wrote:

: > I'd be curious as to how much a system would be slowed down on native
: > file accesses if the path translation took place within namei() itself
: > for native or emul.  (This would allow many of the emul functions
: > simply to collapse to their sys_*() counterparts.)
:
: I have sometimes wished that the native "netbsd" emulation tried
: prepending "/emul/netbsd" to path names.

Trivial if the path translation code were an integral part of namei(), as
noted elsewhere in this thread.

(COMPAT_AOUT could then be nuked and simulated in an identical way, since
the struct emul for a.out would just need to have the path translation
prefix filled in.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/