Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 20:36:40
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> What parts are there to compat_aout? Is it more than just the path
> translation?

No, just that.

> It's off by default, isn't it?

Yep. It's also not maintained and broken.

PRs:

kern/7931: COMPAT_AOUT kernel option is dependent on COMPAT_13 and other COMPAT_* options.   It shouldn't be.
kern/8111: compat/aout causes lossage with LKM syscalls
kern/8662: COMPAT_AOUT wrecks bsdi compat

> > I'd also like to significantly reduce compat/aoutm68k. Particularily,
> > I'd like to nuke all but the stat structure ABI conversion hooks - AFAIK
> > this is the only reason to keep it.
>
> What exactly are we talking about nuking? What is there besides structure
> changes?

COMPAT_AOUT_M68K also contains path translations. Those primarily
I'd like to nuke, and leave only struct stat translation
for *stat(2). [*] I'd be happier is there would be some other way
of doing this, but it seems this particular thing needs
kernel support :(

Jaromir

 [*] The ABI changed between a.out and ELF, particularily padding
     on m68k. This affects struct stat and IIRC struct ifnet?
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html