Subject: Re: Removing compat/aout
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 11:25:31
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Right, but you still need to inject those macros all over the place.  I'd be
> curious as to how much a system would be slowed down on native file
> accesses if the path translation took place within namei() itself for native
> or emul.  (This would allow many of the emul functions simply to collapse to
> their sys_*() counterparts.)

Probably not much, if we do it right. All we need to do is add a bit of
state logic in namei itself which, if we started with root, adds the
prefix once, does the lookup, and if it fails, try from /.

The only question would be how best to get the prefix info into namei. I
don't have source with me, so I don't know if we have the process context
around when either we set up the namei structure (NDINIT()) or not.

Take care,

Bill