Subject: Re: Disklabel Locations
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 10:37:07
--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:26:28PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> Eariler today I thinking about the cross build problem regarding
> disklabel and that got me to investigate where each port keeps it's
> disklabel.  Here's what I found:
>=20
> sector/offset:  port(s)
>=20
> 0/0:    mvme68k next68k
> 0/64:   algor alpha amiga amigappc

Amiga (and Amigappc) don't use BSD disklabels on-disk, but transform the
native partitioning information to the in-core label.

Some other machines do similar transforms.

The Sun ports (well, at least sun3, sparc) do a hybrid approach - they
write both a BSD label and a sun label with the same information.

Regards,
	-is

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj--