Subject: Re: Disklabel Locations
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2002 08:50:13
At 21:26 Uhr -0800 7.3.2002, Matt Thomas wrote:
>But the point is that there only a few places disklabels show up and
>it shouldn't be hard to modify both the user and kernel disklabel code
>to search the disk for a disklabel.  This would make the ability to
>cross built full snapshots much easier.

Maybe I did not understand correctly... But does not the userland disklabel
code already scan a *range* for a BSD disklabel? At least that's where I
got the idea for implementing mac68k's

/*
 * Scan the disk buffer in four byte steps for a native BSD disklabel
 * (different ports have variable-sized bootcode before the label)
 */
static char *
read_bsd_label(dlbuf, lp, match)
{
}

The application at the time was that I wanted to use a NetBSD/sparc disk.

mac68k per default uses the Apple partitioning scheme, btw., both because
we boot from MacOS and because it does not suffer from mbr brain damage.

	hauke

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order