Subject: Re: Proposal: Audio: Sampling rate conversion
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: TAMURA Kent <kent@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2002 21:46:55
> Please test the 44.1kHz -> 48kHz conversion with the following file:
>  http://invisible.yi.org/~jmcneill/misc/swoop.wav
> My ESS Allegro-1 uses a DSP image that does sample-rate conversion up to
> 48kHz, and it does a pretty poor job of it. The poor job is evident when
> listening to that .wav file. After playing it back with 'audioplay', try
> 'audioplay -f -s 48000 swoop.wav' and compare the two.

I compared
  - the sound with a device which has 44.1kHz and
  - 44.1kHz -> 48Hz conveted sound with a device which has only 48kHz

They had definite difference even with my ears.  The later had
vibrato-like sound at the end.

I also played on Windows XP with a device which has only 48kHz.
The sound had no problem ;-) It seems Windows XP applys a better
algorithm or a special conversion for 44.1->48.

--
TAMURA Kent <kent2002@hauN.org> <kent@netbsd.org>