Subject: Re: NetBSD/pdp10 ?
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Aled Morris <aledm@qix.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/2002 16:31:41
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Brian Chase wrote:

>What better way to exercise the portability of NetBSD?  We've got 32-bit
>and 64-bit archictures sorted.  Certainly there would be some challenges
>left with 36-bit support, no?  Given the availability of several PDP-10
>emulators and the work on GCC, I don't see why it couldn't be done.
>
>NetBSD/pdp10 anyone?

This will seriously challenge my personal goal of owning a working
instance one of each of the CPU's that NetBSD runs on :-)

Having said that, I'd love to be involved in a DEC-10 rescue!  My first
computer experience was with the system installed at the University of
Wales in Bangor, back in 1975 or so (I was about 10 at the time)  I got a
personal tour from the director of the computer center who was a friend
of my parents.  He explained to me all about cards, tapes, memory and
stuff.  I probably owe my subsequent career to his enthusiasm and
patience.

I got to use this same system in anger when I learned to program in BASIC,
on a paper tape equipped teletype about five years later, thanks to a
scheme operated by the university to help local schools access "new
technology".

Anyway, if anyone on this list knows of any big-iron VAX (or PDP) systems
that need rescuing in the UK, I'm happy help.

Aled