Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/04/2002 14:39:37
[ On Monday, March 4, 2002 at 10:52:10 (-0500), Thor Lancelot Simon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
>
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:12:23AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> > GENERIC *is* our example configuration.  There's a couple extras on some
> > ports, like FOURMEG et al, and those intended for small memory machines
>
> "A couple"?  i386 has *24*.
>
> Some of these are GENERIC_XYZ configurations, and some are INSTALL_XYZ,
> but there are a lot more than "a couple" of others.  And if they're not
> "examples", why are they in our distribution?

The INSTALL_* kernels are not really "examples".  They are very specific
configurations designed explicitly for the purpose of building
installation media.  They have very real requirements that are well far
and above being examples.  Certainly people reading them can take ideas
from them, and in that sense they are examples, but unless the reader is
aware of the very specific requirements that drive their design they may
be mislead.

--
								Greg A. Woods