Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/04/2002 01:13:40
On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:06:45PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
[I wrote]
> :
> : Since these options are quite simply not useful to whole classes of users,
> : and they *do* bloat the kernel, and that *does* hurt performance, we should
> : not blindly include them in all of our example configurations; particularly
> : not those for small machines!
>
> They're in GENERIC for a reason:  those are "generic" configurations meant
> to run with nearly all optional components enabled.  The same argument could

Did I say "in GENERIC"?  No, I didn't.  I said "all of our example
configurations", which is pretty much the case.  Why take issue with
something I didn't actually say?

[...]
> (This is really a matter of differing brain wavelengths further into this
> thread.  My response was meant to address your initial comment that "the
> impact of COMPAT_<number> should be in a FAQ", implying that somehow

I made no such comment, whether initial or otherwise.  Would you mind
actually reading what I write before responding to it, in the future?

Thor