Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2002 20:22:40
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> In point of fact, almost none of my systems ever include COMPAT_ options
> for older versions of NetBSD; I suspect that most people who *do* include
> such options either don't actually need them (but include them because
> *all* of our example kernels, even the ones for tiny embedded boxes like
> the Soekris where it's extremely unlikely anyone would ever try to run an
> ancient binary do), or could easily arrange to not need them.

My $.02: If there isn't already an FAQ entry or some such pointing out
the possible cost of COMPAT_<version> options, and that there's rarely
a good reason to include them, then there should be.  Hell, even a
comment to that effect in the various GENERICs would be nice.

--Jed, looking for an excuse to build a new kernel anyway...

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."