Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/2002 11:46:46
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Christos Zoulas wrote:

: >Emacs was developed under ITS and also runs under TOPS-20.  Ditto MIT's
: >MIDAS assembler which AFAICT uses the same dumping and undumping scheme.
: >TeX was developed (I believe) under WAITS and also runs under TOPS-10
: >and TOPS-20.
: >
: >I wonder if there are any UNIX programs, not ported from one of the PDP-10
: >OSs, that undump themselves?  (Someone already mentioned sendmail.)
:
: monop(6).

Not the version we have, at least.  Our monop(6) has an "initdeck" which
builds a position-independent binary data blob.

The undumping mentioned in this thread has very specifically to do with
position-dependent data:  either dumping the memory space of a program and
creating an iffy binary image that can later be re-executed directly, or
dumping a section of memory whilst expecting to be able to mmap(...,
MAP_FIXED, ...) the blob back into place.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/