Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: removal of brk()/sbrk().
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/26/2002 11:29:43
In some email I received from Anders Magnusson, sie wrote:

> Removal of the brk() and sbrk() interfaces, or actually: stop using the
> break() system call for process heap.
>
> Proposal:
[...]
> 	Change brk() and sbrk() to call and use mmap() instead of
> 	"break". Preferably move them to libcompat, but it may be
> 	reasons for keeping them in libc. An mmap() implementation
> 	of brk()/sbrk() is attached to this mail.

I think it is a *very* good idea to keep both of these in libc,
even though they call mmap() rather than a system call.  This
would mean moving sbrk() and brk() man pages from section 2 to 3?

Some things out there use sbrk() as the foundation of their own
application's malloc() and siply removing sbrk() from libc will
affect being able to compile them, never mind running them.

Darren