Subject: Re: ddb; how about adb?
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2002 18:05:17
On Jun 10,  6:07am, Rick Kelly wrote:
} John Nemeth said:
}
} >out on BSD.  The first UNIX box I used was an old Pyramid with the dual
} >universe OS, which was running with the BSD personality.  Then I used a
}
} Very bizarre machines. To boot you had to first boot from a floppy that
} installed the "firmware" and started the monitor in memory, then you booted
} the system from the monitor.

     When I had a tour of the machine room at university, they opened a
cabinet on the IBM 3083 mainframe and showed us a floppy drive.  They
said the purpose of it was to load microcode for the processor.

}-- End of excerpt from Rick Kelly