Subject: Re: ATA/ATAPI kernel redesign
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2002 12:21:34
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:56:26PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> >
> > IIRC a big problem is detecting slave only configurations.
>
> These are illegal according to the specification.  Who gives a damn
> if they work or not?

All the people who have them? Regardless of their legality, they happen.
And they happen in cases where we can't do much about it.

My laptop for one does it. As best I can tell, there are no switches I can
change to alter this behavior. The CD/DVD thinks its a slave, and that's
that.

I'd love to be able to tell the system that it shouldn't bother waiting
for the master, which I know is never going to be there, to tell it about
the slave, which I know is there. And which it finds when it tries
whatever it tries after the 30 sec timeout.

Take care,

Bill