Subject: Re: usb printers?
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/2002 16:14:10
* Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> [020224 16:08] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > > Yep, I have an Apollo 2150U (not sure on the exact model off-hand). It
> > > works relatively well with the alternate ulpt device (/dev/ulpn0? I'm not
> > > 100% on the device name, check i386's MAKEDEV on -current).
> > >
> > > Every once in a while lpd seizes and the print queue doesn't get printed
> > > until I reboot, but other than that it works fine.
> >
> > thank you very much, it's somewhat important that I find a BSD
> > with a working USB printer driver so that I can port over the
> > HP Linux USB printer stuff.
>
> I'm using ulpt and I don't have any problems.

Well I just booted a 1.5AZ kernel and it didn't seem to like it
all that much.  I'll tell you more after I get it installed.

Any chance I can convince you to look at what we did wrong in FreeBSD
wrt to USB?  Printing seems really broken, in fact 'cat /dev/ulpt0'
under -stable causes a hang when and a crash under -current when
cat ternimates and the device node is closed.

We die in uhci_remove_bulk, things like umass seems to work ok though..

anyhow I'm rambling, I'll let you know what I find out after my
install completes and I try to port over my work from freebsd
to netbsd to get this damn stuff working...

thanks,
--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/