Subject: Re: ddb; how about adb?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2002 16:16:58
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, John Nemeth wrote:

# On Jun 3,  5:31am, Greywolf wrote:
# }
# } I know this is off the original topic; but since the source code access
# } license has been lifted apparently for things like Net-2, is there any
# } chance of reintroducing adb?  It was a very nice all-purpose binary file
#
#      The heck with that, how about dbx?  Can you tell that I started
# out on BSD.  The first UNIX box I used was an old Pyramid with the dual
# universe OS, which was running with the BSD personality.  Then I used a
# VAX 11/780 running 4.3BSD, followed by a Sun 4/280 running SunOS 3.x,
# followed by just about every commercial variant of UNIX (including
# Minix; I was on the Minix newsgroups when Linus sent that famous
# article).

With the knowledge that there are far wiser, more experienced souls out
there than I in the realm of BSD,

<oneup>
I know the feeling, being someone who was born and raised on 4.1 BSD on
an 11/750, astounded at the thing having ONE MEGABYTE of memory and
two RM80 drives with *gasp* 80MB of space EACH (the third one was
down in need of maintenance and resurrection), and a HIRR tape drive.
</oneup>

I'll save my further litany for my self-aggrandizing website, once I get
it organized.

dbx was nice, but I thing gdb covers most of that, at least
functionally.  We have no real functional equivalent of adb, at least
not with that degree of simplicity.  Maybe I just haven't learned to use
gdb properly, but I could actually easily edit binaries with adb.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD is much like a tipi:  No windows, no gates, and an apache inside.