Subject: Re: mmap, siginfo
To: John R Towler <towl0008@tc.umn.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/17/2002 17:57:57
On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:30:00PM -0600, John R Towler wrote:

> Difficulties apparently are manifest in the OS facilities desired in
> the new, experimental port of cmucl to NetBSD/x86.  Wrt  the comments
> below, the facilities desired are
>
> ((a) the ability to map memory in chunks >= 128M

I don't understand what the problem is, here.  I mmap more than 128MB
at a time with some regularity; no problems to report.

Perhaps the author of the comment you enclosed didn't check that his
resource limits were set appropriately?  I note that:

1) The default "datasize" limit is 128MB

2) Many other Unix variants incorrecly *don't count mmap allocations
   against *any* resource limit *at all**, allowing the use of mmap()
   to completely bollix up the system.

Thor